Today in the Weekly Cycle
Sunday, January 12, 2020
Additional Half Set : the Vowels and the Grass
The 24th of Elul, begins an additional set, containing 12 days, which parallels the Hebrew vowels, as well as "the Grasses" in Perek Shirah. These twelve days include the first days of creation, as well as those of Rosh Hashanah of the coming year, up to the 6th day of Tishrei.
As previously explained, the Grasses were not an original part of Perek Shirah. They were added by Rabbi Yaakov Emden. The verse was "found in an incorrect location" in some versions of Perek Shirah, and therefore transferred to an appropriate location the end of the Chapter 3, based on Talmud in Chullin 60a. (Slifkin, p. 199)
Similarly, it would not appear necessary to discuss the Hebrew vowels. Nevertheless, the twelve vowels bring the total count of the calendar to 364 days, which equals 52 weeks, the number of weeks in a solar year. There are 52 animals in Chapters 4 - 6 of Perek Shirah, one for each week of the year. (See Book I of the Kabbalah of Time)
The Hebrew vowels parallel the Kabbalistic sefirot. They give additional sound to the letters, allowing for a much greater diversity of sounds and words.
Similarly, the song of the Grasses is about diversity: The Grasses are saying, "May the glory of G-d endure forever; may G-d rejoice in His works." (Slifkin, p. 198)
As mentioned previously, this verse is derived from a passage in the Tractate of Chullin (60a). This passage is closely linked with Creation, which took place during these days:
"May the glory of G-d endure forever; may G-d rejoice in His works," - this verse was uttered by the angel of the world. At the time when the Holy One said "according to its kind" to the trees, the grasses reasoned a fortiori: "If the Holy One wants intermingling, then why did He say 'according to its kind' for the trees? And furthermore, if with trees, which do not usually grow intermingled, the Holy One said, 'according to its kind,' then how much more so does this apply to us!" Immediately each emerged according to its kind. The angel of the world opened with, "May the glory of G-d endure forever; may G-d rejoice in His works."
The song is sung at the time of creation, sung by the "angel of the world" itself. The song is about G-d's glory, His Kavod. Pirkei Avot concludes by stating that the entire world was created solely for His glory:
Everything that G-d created in His world, He did not create but for His glory. As is stated (Isaiah 43:7): "All that is called by My name and for My glory, I created it, formed it, also I made it." And it says (Exodus 15:1): "G-d shall reign forever and ever." (Chapter 6:11)
Posted by Kahane at 7:25 AM
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- The 32 Paths of Wisdom: Chapters 1 - 3 of Perek Sh...
- More on the 22-day cycles of the year: Acrostics a...
- Tractates and 32 Paths (22-day cycles)
- First Set of 22 Days: Alef & Bet, the Heavens and ...
- Second Set of 22 Days: Gimmel & Dalet, Eden & Gehe...
- Third Set of 22 Days: Heh & Vav, the Desert & the ...
- Fourth Set of 22 Days: Zayin & Chet, the Waters & ...
- Fifth Set of 22 Days: Tet & Yud, the Rivers & the ...
- Sixth Set of 22 Days: Kaf & Lamed, Day and Night
- Seventh Set of 22 Days: Mem & Nun, Sun and Moon
- Eighth Set of 22 Days: Samech & Ayin, and the Stars
- Ninth Set of 22 Days: Peh and Tzaddik, Thick and L...
- Tenth Set of 22 Days: Kuf and Reish, Wind and Ligh...
- Eleventh Set of 22 Days: Shin and Tav, Dew and Rain
- Twelfth Set of 22 Days: Kaf Sofit, Trees of the Fi...
- Thirteenth Set of 22 Days: Mem Sofit, Fig and Pome...
- Fourteenth Set of 22 Days: Nun Sofit, the Palm and...
- Fifteenth Set of 22 Days: Peh Sofit, Sheaves of Ba...
- Sixteenth Set of 22 Days: Tzadik Sofit, Other Shea...
- Additional Half Set : the Vowels and the Grass
- Psalm 150: Praising Hashem with All of the Vowels
- Introduction to the Aleph-Beit, based on the Zohar
- Book of Lamentations, Chapter 5 Acrostic
- Nachum Acrostic
- The 70 Souls of Israel, the 70 Nations of the Worl...
- A Promised Land
- Levitical Cities and Constellations
- Haazinu as a Reflection of the Torah Portions from...
- The Tanach and Recent Jewish History
- Pi and the Kabbalah of Time
- ▼ January (30)
- ► 2019 (60)
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (54)
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (54)
- ► 2014 (58)
- ► 2013 (53)
- ► 2012 (74)
- ► 2011 (43)