Today in the Weekly Cycle
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Fourteenth Set of 22 Days: Nun Sofit, the Palm and the Tapuach (Etrog/Apple)
The 17th of Tammuz begins the fourteenth set of 22 days of the Jewish calendar, which parallels the end-letter Nun (Nun Sofit), as well as the Palm Tree and the Tapuach (Etrog/Apple) in Perek Shirah. This 22-day period coincides with the Three Weeks of mourning from the the fast of the 17th of Tammuz to the fast of the 9th of Av. This cycle also contains the yahrzeit of the Ari HaKadosh on the 5th of Av and the birth of Mashiach on the 9th of Av.
As mentioned previously, the Nun stands for the Divine attribute (sefirah) of Malchut, Kingship, and is related to one of the names for Mashiach: Yinon. (Likutei Moharan) Nun also means "fish" in Aramaic, and is associated closely with Moshe. Joshua is called Yehoshua Bin Nun, the son of Nun, because a teacher (in this case, Moshe) is like a parent. The Nun also represents the idea of a faithful servant. While the regular Nun is bent, the final Nun is an unbounded straight line, reaching even below the "resting place" of the regular letters. (Rabbi Ginsburgh) The final Nun represents Mashiach's ability to infuse even the lowliest of realms with G-dliness. The final Nun also has the shape of an extended vav, which stands for uprightness.
Much of the suffering the Jewish people has endured during these three weeks is to lead us to a state of uprightness. These three weeks are also very much associated with the coming of Mashiach, who will be the ultimate example of such uprightness.
The above also appears to parallel the song of the animal for week 42 (Book 1), the Hound, which starts on the 18th of Tammuz. The hound's verse is "Let the righteous rejoice in G-d; praise is befitting to the upright." (Psalms 33:1)
A similar theme can be found regarding the elements in Perek Shirah.
The Palm is saying, "The righteous will flourish like the palm tree; they will grow like a cedar in Lebanon." (Psalms 92:13)
The Tapuach (Esrog/Apple) is saying, "Like the Tapuach tree among the trees of the woods, so is my beloved among young men. I sat down under his shadow with delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste." (Song of Songs 2:3)
The Palm Tree is straight and upright, compared in the verse to the Tzadik. The cedar, also mentioned in this verse, is also tall and strong. Levanon, mentioned in this verse, is also a reference to the Temple. The first and second temples were destroyed during this time of the year because of corruption. The third one will be rebuilt when the Jewish people will be straight and upright, and will last forever.
The Tapuach, whether it represents the Etrog or the Apple, is associated with the Garden of Eden - a state of closeness with G-d, which we will reach in the Messianic era.
Posted by Kahane at 9:10 AM
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- The 32 Paths of Wisdom: Chapters 1 - 3 of Perek Sh...
- More on the 22-day cycles of the year: Acrostics a...
- Tractates and 32 Paths (22-day cycles)
- First Set of 22 Days: Alef & Bet, the Heavens and ...
- Second Set of 22 Days: Gimmel & Dalet, Eden & Gehe...
- Third Set of 22 Days: Heh & Vav, the Desert & the ...
- Fourth Set of 22 Days: Zayin & Chet, the Waters & ...
- Fifth Set of 22 Days: Tet & Yud, the Rivers & the ...
- Sixth Set of 22 Days: Kaf & Lamed, Day and Night
- Seventh Set of 22 Days: Mem & Nun, Sun and Moon
- Eighth Set of 22 Days: Samech & Ayin, and the Stars
- Ninth Set of 22 Days: Peh and Tzaddik, Thick and L...
- Tenth Set of 22 Days: Kuf and Reish, Wind and Ligh...
- Eleventh Set of 22 Days: Shin and Tav, Dew and Rain
- Twelfth Set of 22 Days: Kaf Sofit, Trees of the Fi...
- Thirteenth Set of 22 Days: Mem Sofit, Fig and Pome...
- Fourteenth Set of 22 Days: Nun Sofit, the Palm and...
- Fifteenth Set of 22 Days: Peh Sofit, Sheaves of Ba...
- Sixteenth Set of 22 Days: Tzadik Sofit, Other Shea...
- Additional Half Set : the Vowels and the Grass
- Psalm 150: Praising Hashem with All of the Vowels
- Introduction to the Aleph-Beit, based on the Zohar
- Book of Lamentations, Chapter 5 Acrostic
- Nachum Acrostic
- The 70 Souls of Israel, the 70 Nations of the Worl...
- A Promised Land
- Levitical Cities and Constellations
- Haazinu as a Reflection of the Torah Portions from...
- The Tanach and Recent Jewish History
- Pi and the Kabbalah of Time
- ▼ January (30)
- ► 2019 (60)
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (54)
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (54)
- ► 2014 (58)
- ► 2013 (53)
- ► 2012 (74)
- ► 2011 (43)