Tonight in the Weekly Cycle
Sunday, February 16, 2014
Week 47 (Book 6): Reviewing the Week of Rosh Chodesh Elul - Psalms 139-141; 105:42-44; 89:48
1. For the Conductor, by David, a psalm. O Lord, You have probed me, and You know. 2. You know my sitting down and my standing up; You perceive my thought from afar. 3. You encircle my going about and my lying down; You are familiar with all my paths. 4. For there was not yet a word on my tongue-and behold, Lord, You knew it all. 5. You have besieged me front and back, You have laid Your hand upon me. 6. Knowledge [to escape You] is beyond me; it is exalted, I cannot know it. 7. Where can I go [to escape] Your spirit? And where can I flee from Your presence? 8. If I ascend to the heavens, You are there; if I make my bed in the grave, behold, You are there. 9. Were I to take up wings as the dawn and dwell in the furthest part of the sea, 10. there, too, Your hand would guide me; Your right hand would hold me. 11. Were I to say, "Surely the darkness will shadow me," then the night would be as light around me. 12. Even the darkness obscures nothing from You; and the night shines like the day-the darkness is as light. 13. For You created my mind; You covered me in my mother's womb. 14. I will thank You, for I was formed in an awesome and wondrous way; unfathomable are Your works, though my soul perceives much. 15. My essence was not hidden from You even while I was born in concealment, formed in the depths of the earth. 16. Your eyes beheld my raw form; all [happenings] are inscribed in Your book, even those to be formed in future days-to Him they are the same. 17. How precious are Your thoughts to me, O G-d! How overwhelming, [even] their beginnings! 18. Were I to count them, they would outnumber the sand, even if I were to remain awake and always with You. 19. O that You would slay the wicked, O G-d, and men of blood [to whom I say], "Depart from me!” 20. They exalt You for wicked schemes, Your enemies raise [You] for falsehood. 21. Indeed, I hate those who hate You, Lord; I contend with those who rise up against You. 22. I hate them with the utmost hatred; I regard them as my own enemies. 23. Search me, Lord, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. 24. See if there is a vexing way in me, then lead me in the way of the world.
1. For the Conductor, a psalm by David. 2. Rescue me from the evil man, protect me from the man of violence, 3. who devise evil schemes in their heart; every day they gather for wars. 4. They sharpen their tongues like a serpent; the spider's venom is forever under their lips. 5. Guard me, Lord, from the hands of the wicked, protect me from the man of violence-those who plot to cause my steps to slip. 6. Arrogant ones have hidden a snare for me, and ropes; they spread a net by my path, they set traps for me continually. 7. I said to the Lord, "You are my G-d!" Listen, O Lord, to the voice of my pleas. 8. G-d, my Lord, the strength of my deliverance, You sheltered my head on the day of armed battle. 9. Grant not, O Lord, the desires of the wicked; fulfill not his scheme, make it unattainable forever. 10. As for the head of my besiegers, let the deceit of their own lips bury them. 11. Let burning coals fall upon them; let it cast them down into the fire, into deep pits, never to rise again. 12. Let not the slanderous man be established in the land; let the evil of the man of violence trap him until he is overthrown. 13. I know that the Lord will execute judgment for the poor, justice for the needy. 14. Indeed, the righteous will extol Your Name; the upright will dwell in Your presence.
1. A psalm by David. O Lord, I have called You, hasten to me; listen to my voice when I call to You. 2. Let my prayer be set forth as incense before You, the raising of my hands as an afternoon offering. 3. O Lord, place a guard for my mouth, keep watch over the door of my lips. 4. Do not incline my heart to a bad thing-to perform deeds in wickedness, with men, doers of evil; let me not partake of their delicacies. 5. Let the righteous one strike me with kindness and let him rebuke me; like the finest oil, let my head not refuse it. For as long [as I live], my prayer is [to preserve me] from their harm. 6. For their judges have slipped because of their [hearts of] rock, though they heard my words and they were pleasant. 7. As one who chops and splinters [wood] on the ground, so have our bones been scattered to the mouth of the grave. 8. For to You, G-d, my Lord, are my eyes; in You I take shelter; do not pour out my soul. 9. Protect me from the hands of the snare they laid for me, and from the traps of the evildoers. 10. Let the wicked fall into their own nets together, until I pass over.
42. For He remembered His holy word with Abraham His servant.
43. And He took out His people with joy, His chosen ones with joyful singing.
44. And He gave them lands of nations, and they inherited the toil of kingdoms.
48. I am mindful what my old age is; for what futility have You created all the sons of man?
Posted by Kahane at 1:11 PM
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- ► 2019 (60)
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (54)
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (54)
- ▼ February (4)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (43)