Tonight in the Weekly Cycle
Sunday, October 26, 2014
Week 9 (Book 6): Reviewing the Last Week of Cheshvan / Week of Rosh Chodesh Kislev - Psalms 25-27; 41:6-8; 89:10
1. By David. To You, Lord, I lift my soul. 2. My G-d, I have put my trust in You. May I not be put to shame; may my enemies not gloat over me. 3. Indeed, may all who hope in You not be put to shame; let those who act treacherously without reason be shamed. 4. O Lord, make Your ways known to me; teach me Your paths. 5. Train me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the G-d of my salvation; I yearn for You all day. 6. O Lord, remember Your mercies and Your kindnesses, for they have existed for all time. 7. Do not recall the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions; remember me in accordance with Your kindness, because of Your goodness, O Lord. 8. Good and upright is the Lord, therefore He directs sinners along the way. 9. He guides the humble with justice, and teaches the humble His way. 10. All the paths of the Lord are kindness and truth for those who observe His covenant and testimonies. 11. For the sake of Your Name, O Lord, pardon my iniquity, for it is great. 12. Whoever is a G-d-fearing man, him will He teach the path that he should choose. 13. His soul will abide in well-being, and his descendants will inherit the earth. 14. The secret of the Lord is to those who fear Him; He makes His covenant known to them. 15. My eyes are always turned to the Lord, for He releases my feet from the snare. 16. Turn to me and be compassionate to me, for I am alone and afflicted. 17. The sufferings of my heart have increased; deliver me from my hardships. 18. Behold my affliction and suffering, and forgive all my sins. 19. See how numerous my enemies have become; they hate me with a violent hatred. 20. Guard my soul and deliver me; may I not be put to shame, for I place my trust in You. 21. Let integrity and uprightness guard me, for my hope is in You. 22. Redeem Israel, O G-d, from all its afflictions.
1. By David. Judge me, O Lord, for in my innocence I have walked, and in the Lord I have trusted-I shall not falter. 2. Try me, O Lord, and test me; refine my mind and heart. 3. For Your kindness is before my eyes, and I have walked constantly in Your truth. 4. I did not sit with men of falsehood, and with hypocrites I will not mingle. 5. I detested the company of evildoers, and with the wicked I will not sit. 6. I wash my hands in purity, and circle Your altar, O Lord, 7. to give voice to thanks, and to recount all Your wonders. 8. I love the shelter of Your House, O Lord, and the place where Your glory resides. 9. Gather not in my soul with sinners, nor my life with men of bloodshed, 10. In whose hands are schemes, and whose right hand is filled with bribes. 11. But I walk in my innocence; redeem me and show me favor. 12. My foot stands on level ground; in assemblies I will bless the Lord.
1. By David. The Lord is my light and my salvation-whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life-whom shall I dread? 2. When evildoers approached me to devour my flesh, my oppressors and my foes, they stumbled and fell. 3. If an army were to beleaguer me, my heart would not fear; if war were to arise against me, in this I trust. 4. One thing I have asked of the Lord, this I seek: that I may dwell in the House of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the pleasantness of the Lord, and to visit His Sanctuary. 5. For He will hide me in His tabernacle on a day of adversity; He will conceal me in the hidden places of His tent; He will lift me upon a rock. 6. And then my head will be raised above my enemies around me, and I will offer in His tabernacle sacrifices of jubilation; I will sing and chant to the Lord. 7. Lord, hear my voice as I call; be gracious to me and answer me. 8. In Your behalf my heart says, "Seek My countenance"; Your countenance, Lord, I seek. 9. Do not conceal Your countenance from me; do not cast aside Your servant in wrath. You have been my help; do not abandon me nor forsake me, G-d of my deliverance. 10. Though my father and mother have forsaken me, the Lord has taken me in. 11. Lord, teach me Your way and lead me in the path of righteousness, because of my watchful enemies. 12. Do not give me over to the will of my oppressors, for there have risen against me false witnesses, and they speak evil. 13. [They would have crushed me] had I not believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14. Hope in the Lord, be strong and let your heart be valiant, and hope in the Lord.
6. My foes say that evil [awaits] me: "When will he die, and his name perish?” 7. And if one comes to see [me], he speaks insincerely, for his heart gathers iniquity for himself, and when he goes out he speaks of it. 8. Together they whisper against me-all my enemies; against me they devise my harm, [saying]:
10. You rule the vastness of the sea; when its waves surge, You still them.
Posted by Kahane at 8:55 AM
Sunday, October 19, 2014
1. By David. I call to You, O Lord; my Strength, do not be deaf to me; for should You be silent to me, I will be like those who descend to the pit. 2. Hear the sound of my pleas when I cry out to You, when I raise my hands toward Your holy Sanctuary. 3. Do not draw me along with the wicked, with evildoers who speak of peace with their companions, though evil is in their heart. 4. Give them according to their deeds, and the evil of their endeavors; give them according to their handiwork, render to them their just deserts. 5. For they pay no heed to the acts of the Lord, nor to the work of His hands; may He destroy them and not rebuild them. 6. Blessed is the Lord, for He has heard the voice of my pleas. 7. The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusted and I was helped; my heart exulted, and with my song I praised Him. 8. The Lord is a strength to them; He is a stronghold of deliverance to His anointed. 9. Grant salvation to Your people and bless Your heritage; tend them and exalt them forever.
1. A psalm by David. Render to the Lord, children of the mighty, render to the Lord honor and strength. 2. Render to the Lord the honor due to His Name; bow down to the Lord in resplendent holiness. 3. The voice of the Lord is over the waters, the G-d of glory thunders; the Lord is over mighty waters. 4. The voice of the Lord resounds with might; the voice of the Lord resounds with majesty. 5. The voice of the Lord breaks cedars; the Lord shatters the cedars of Lebanon. 6. He makes them leap like a calf, Lebanon and Sirion like a young wild ox. 7. The voice of the Lord strikes flames of fire. 8. The voice of the Lord makes the desert tremble; the Lord causes the desert of Kadesh to tremble. 9. The voice of the Lord causes the does to calve, and strips the forests bare; and in His Sanctuary all proclaim His glory. 10. The Lord sat [as King] at the Flood; the Lord will sit as King forever. 11. The Lord will give strength to His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
1. A psalm, a song of dedication of the House, by David. 2. I exalt You, Lord, for You have uplifted me, and did not allow my enemies to rejoice over me. 3. Lord, my G-d, I cried out to You, and You healed me. 4. Lord, You have brought up my soul from the grave; You have kept me alive, that I should not descend to the pit. 5. Sing to the Lord, you His pious ones, and praise His holy Name. 6. For His wrath endures but for a moment, when He is conciliated there is [long] life; when one retires at night weeping, joy will come in the morning. 7. In my security I thought, "I shall never falter.” 8. Lord, by Your favor You have made my mountain stand strong; when You concealed Your countenance I was alarmed. 9. I called to You, O Lord, and I made supplication to my Lord: 10. What profit is there in my death, in my going down to the grave? Can dust praise You? Can it proclaim Your truth 11. Lord, hear and be gracious to me; Lord, be a help to me. 12. You have turned my mourning into dancing; You have undone my sackcloth and girded me with joy. 13. Therefore my soul shall sing to You, and not be silent; Lord my G-d, I will praise You forever.
9. "Let his wickedness pour into him; now that he lies down, he shall rise no more.” 10. Even my ally in whom I trusted, who ate of my bread, has raised his heel over me. 11. But you, Lord, be gracious to me and raise me up, and I will repay them.
11. You crushed Rahav (Egypt) like a corpse; with Your powerful arm You scattered Your enemies.
Posted by Kahane at 4:00 PM
Sunday, October 12, 2014
1. For the Conductor, a psalm by David. 2. In You I have taken shelter, O Lord, I shall never be shamed; rescue me in Your righteousness. 3. Turn Your ear to me, save me quickly; be to me a rock of refuge, a fortress to deliver me. 4. For You are my rock and my fortress; for the sake of Your Name, direct me and lead me. 5. Remove me from the net they planted for me, for You are my stronghold. 6. I entrust my spirit into Your hand; You will redeem me, Lord, G-d of truth. 7. I despise those who anticipate worthless vanities; but I trust in the Lord. 8. I will rejoice and delight in Your kindness, for You have seen my affliction; You know the troubles of my soul. 9. You have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy; You have set my feet on spacious ground. 10. Be gracious to me, O Lord, for I am in distress; my eye wastes away from vexation-my soul and my stomach. 11. For my life is spent in sorrow, my years in sighing; my strength fails because of my iniquity, and my bones are wasted away. 12. Because of myadversaries I have become a disgrace-exceedingly to my neighbors, and a dread to my friends; those who see me outside flee from me. 13. Like a dead man, I was forgotten from the heart; I became like a lost vessel. 14. For I have heard the slander of many, terror on every side, when they assembled together against me and plotted to take my life. 15. But I trusted in You, O Lord; I said, "You are my G-d.” 16. My times are in Your hand; save me from the hands of my enemies and pursuers. 17. Shine Your countenance upon Your servant; deliver me in Your kindness. 18. O Lord, let me not be ashamed, for I have called You; let the wicked be shamed, let them be silent to the grave. 19. Let the lips of falsehood-which speak insolently against the righteous, with arrogance and contempt-be struck dumb. 20. How abundant is Your good that You have hidden for those who fear You; in the presence of man, You have acted for those who take refuge in You. 21. Conceal them from the haughtiness of man, in the shelter of Your countenance; hide them in a shelter from the strife of tongues. 22. Blessed is the Lord, for He has been wondrous in His kindness to me in a besieged city. 23. I said in my panic, "I am cut off from before Your eyes!" But in truth, You heard the voice of my pleas when I cried to You. 24. Love the lord, all His pious ones! The Lord preserves the faithful, and repays with exactness those who act haughtily. 25. Be strong and fortify your hearts, all who put their hope in the Lord!
1. By David, a maskil.1Fortunate is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. 2. Fortunate is the man to whom the Lord does not reckon his sin, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. 3. When I was silent, my limbs wore away through my wailing all day long. 4. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my marrow became [dry] as the droughts of summer, Selah. 5. My sin I made known to You, my iniquity I did not cover. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord," and You have forgiven the iniquity of my transgression forever. 6. For this let every pious man pray to You, at a time when You may be found; indeed, the flood of many waters will not reach him. 7. You are a refuge to me; protect me from distress; surround me with songs of deliverance forever. 8. I will enlighten you and educate you in the path you should go; I will advise you with what I have seen. 9. Be not like a horse, like a mule, senseless, that must be muzzled with bit and bridle when being adorned, so that it not come near you. 10. Many are the agonies of the wicked, but he who trusts in the Lord is surrounded by kindness. 11. Rejoice in the Lord and exult, you righteous ones! Sing joyously, all you upright of heart!
1. Sing joyously to the Lord, you righteous ones; it is fitting for the upright to offer praise. 2. Extol the Lord with a harp; sing to Him with a ten-stringed lyre. 3. Sing to Him a new song; play well with sounds of jubilation. 4. For the word of the Lord is just; all His deeds are done in faithfulness. 5. He loves righteousness and justice; the kindness of the Lord fills the earth. 6. By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of His mouth all their hosts. 7. He gathers the waters of the sea like a mound; He places the deep waters in vaults. 8. Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world tremble before Him. 9. For He spoke, and it came to be; He commanded, and it endured. 10. The Lord has annulled the counsel of nations; He has foiled the schemes of peoples. 11. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the thoughts of His heart throughout all generations. 12. Fortunate is the nation whose G-d is the Lord, the people He chose as a heritage for Himself. 13. The Lord looks down from heaven; He beholds all mankind. 14. From His dwelling-place He looks intently upon all the inhabitants of the earth. 15. It is He Who fashions the hearts of them all, Who perceives all their actions. 16. The king is not saved by a great army, nor a warrior rescued by great might. 17. The horse is a false guarantee for victory; with all its great strength it offers no escape. 18. But the eye of the Lord is directed toward those who fear Him, toward those who hope for His kindness, 19. to save their soul from death and to sustain them during famine. 20. Our soul yearns for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. 21. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, for we have put our trust in His Holy Name. 22. May Your kindness, Lord, be upon us, as we have placed our hope in You.
12. With this I shall know that You desire me, when my enemies will not shout gleefully over me. 13. And I, because of my integrity, You upheld me; You set me before You forever. 14. Blessed is the Lord, the G-d of Israel, to all eternity, Amen and Amen.
12. Yours are the heavens, the earth is also Yours; the world and all therein-You established them.
Posted by Kahane at 5:00 AM
Sunday, October 5, 2014
1. By David, when he feigned insanity before Avimelech,1 who then drove him away, and he left. 2. I bless the Lord at all times; His praise is always in my mouth. 3. My soul glories in the Lord; let the humble hear it and rejoice. 4. Exalt the Lord with me, and let us extol His Name together. 5. I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears. 6. Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never humiliated. 7. This poor man called, and the Lord heard; He delivered him from all his tribulations. 8. The angel of the Lord camps around those who fear Him, and rescues them. 9. Taste and see that the Lord is good; fortunate is the man who trusts in Him. 10. Fear the Lord, you His holy ones, for those who fear Him suffer no want. 11. Young lions may want and hunger, but those who seek the Lord shall not lack any good thing. 12. Come, children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. 13. Who is the man who desires life, who loves long life wherein to see goodness? 14. Guard your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. 15. Turn away from evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it. 16. The eyes of the Lord are directed toward the righteous, and His ears toward their cry. 17. The wrath of the Lord is upon the evildoers, to excise their memory from the earth. 18. But when they [repent and] cry out, the Lord hears, and saves them from all their troubles. 19. The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those with a crushed spirit. 20. Many are the afflictions of a righteous person, but the Lord rescues him from them all. 21. He protects all his bones; not one of them is broken. 22. Evil brings death upon the wicked, and the enemies of the righteous are condemned. 23. The Lord redeems the soul of His servants; all who take shelter in Him are not condemned.
1. By David. Fight my antagonists, O Lord, battle those who battle against me. 2. Take hold of shield and armor and arise to help me. 3. Draw a spear, and bar the way before my pursuers; say to my soul, "I am your deliverance.” 4. Let those who seek my life be shamed and disgraced; let those who devise my harm retreat and be humiliated. 5. Let them be as chaff before the wind; let the angel of the Lord thrust them away. 6. Let their path be dark and slippery; let them be chased by the angel of the Lord. 7. For without cause have they laid their nets in the pit for me; without cause have they dug [pits] for my soul. 8. Let darkness come upon him unawares; let the very snare that he hid trap him, in darkness he will fall in it. 9. And my soul shall exult in the Lord, rejoice in His deliverance. 10. My entire being shall declare: Lord, who is like You? Who saves the poor from one stronger than he, the poor and the destitute from one who would rob him. 11. Corrupt witnesses rise up [against me], they demand of me things of which I do not know. 12. They repay me evil for good, death for my soul. 13. But I wore sackcloth when they were ill; I afflicted my soul with fasting. Let my prayer return upon my own bosom. 14. As if it were my friend, my brother, I went about; like a mother in mourning, I was bent over in gloom. 15. But when I limped, they rejoiced and gathered; the lowly gathered against me-even those whom I do not know; they laugh and cannot be quiet. 16. With flattery and scorn, for the sake of a meal,1 they gnash their teeth at me. 17. My Lord, how long will You look on? Restore my life from their darkness; from young lions, my soul. 18. I will thank You in a great congregation, amidst a mighty nation I will praise You. 19. Let not those who hate me without cause rejoice over me; [let not] those who despise me without reason wink their eye. 20. For they speak not of peace, rather they scheme deceitful matters against the broken of the land. 21. They opened their mouths wide against me, they said, "Aha! Aha! Our eyes have seen [his misfortune].” 22. You saw, Lord, be not silent; my Lord, be not distant from me. 23. Rouse and awaken Yourself to my judgment, to my cause, my G-d and my Lord. 24. Judge me according to your righteousness, Lord my G-d; let them not rejoice over me. 25. Let them not say in their hearts, "Aha! We have our desire!" Let them not say, "We have swallowed him!” 26. Let them be shamed and disgraced together, those who rejoice at my trouble; let them be clothed in shame and humiliation, those who raise themselves arrogantly over me. 27. Let those who desire my vindication sing joyously and be glad; let them say always, "Let the Lord be exalted, Who desires the peace of His servant.” 28. My tongue will speak of Your righteousness, Your praise, all day long.
1. For the Conductor, by the servant of the Lord, by David. 2. [I think] in my heart: Sin says to the wicked, "There is none [who need place] the fear of G-d before his eyes.” 3. For Sin makes itself appealing to him, until his iniquity be found and he is hated. 4. The speech of his mouth is evil and deceit; he fails to reason, to improve. 5. On his bed he contemplates evil, he stands in a path that is not good; he does not despise evil. 6. O Lord, Your kindness is in the heavens; Your faithfulness is till the skies. 7. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, Your judgments extend to the great deep; man and beast You deliver, O Lord. 8. How precious is Your kindness, O G-d; man takes shelter in the shadow of Your wings. 9. They will be filled by the abundance of Your house; from the stream of Your Eden, You will give them to drink. 10. For the source of life is with You; in Your Light do we see light. 11. Extend Your kindness to those who know You, and Your righteousness to the upright of heart. 12. Let not the foot of the arrogant overtake me; let not the hand of the wicked drive me away. 13. There1 the doers of evil fell, thrust down, unable to rise.
1. For the conductor, a maskil of the sons of Korah.
2. As a hart cries longingly for rivulets of water, so does my soul cry longingly to You, O G-d.
3. My soul thirsts for G-d, for the living G-d; when will I come and appear before G-d?
4. My tears were my bread day and night when they say to me all day long, "Where is your G-d?"
13. The north and the south-You created them; Tabor and Hermon sing of [the greatness] of Your Name.
Posted by Kahane at 6:00 AM
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- ► 2019 (60)
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (54)
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (54)
- ▼ October (4)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (43)