Sunday, September 7, 2014
Week 16 (Book 6): Reviewing the Third Week of Teveth - Psalms 46-48; 59:3-5; 89:17
PSALMS (Explanations and Translations from Chabad.org)
This psalm tells of the Gog and Magog era (the Messianic age), when man will cast aside his weapons, and warfare will be no more.
1. For the Conductor, by the sons of Korach, on the alamot,1 a song. 2. G-d is our refuge and strength, a help in distress, He is most accessible. 3. Therefore, we will not be afraid when the earth is transformed, when mountains collapse in the heart of the seas; 4. when its waters roar and are muddied, and mountains quake before His grandeur, Selah. 5. The river2-its streams will bring joy to the city of G-d, the sacred dwelling of the Most High. 6. G-d is in her midst, she will not falter; G-d will help her at the approach of morning. 7. Nations clamor, kingdoms stumble; He raises His voice and the earth dissolves. 8. The Lord of Hosts is with us; the G-d of Jacob is our stronghold forever. 9. Go and see the works of the Lord, Who has wrought devastation in the land. 10. To the end of the earth He causes wars to cease; He breaks the bow, snaps the spear, and burns the wagons in fire. 11. Stop [waging war]! And know that I am G-d; I will be exalted among the nations, exalted upon the earth. 12. The Lord of Hosts is with us; the G-d of Jacob is our stronghold forever.
Following the battle of Gog and Magog (in the Messianic era), war will be no more. G-d will grant us salvation, and we will merit to go up to the Holy Temple for the festivals, Amen.
1. For the Conductor, a psalm by the sons of Korach. 2. All you nations, clap hands; sound [the shofar] to G-d with a sound of jubilation. 3. For the Lord is most high, awesome; a great King over all the earth. 4. He subdues peoples under us, nations beneath our feet. 5. He chooses our heritage for us, the glory of Jacob whom He loves eternally. 6. G-d ascends through teruah, the Lord-through the sound of the shofar. 7. Sing, O sing to G-d; sing, O sing to our King. 8. For G-d is King over all the earth; sing, O man of understanding. 9. G-d reigns over the nations; G-d is seated on His holy throne. 10. The most noble of the nations are gathered, the nation of the G-d of Abraham; for the protectors of the earth belong to G-d; He is greatly exalted.
The psalmist prophesies about the Messianic era, singing the praises of a rebuilt Jerusalem and the sacrifices brought there. At that time Israel will say, "As we heard from the mouths of the prophets, so have we merited to see!"
1. A song, a psalm by the sons of Korach. 2. The Lord is great and exceedingly acclaimed in the city of G-d, His holy mountain. 3. Beautiful in landscape, the joy of the whole earth is Mount Zion, on the northern slopes, the city of the great King. 4. In her citadels, G-d became known as a tower of strength. 5. For behold, the kings assembled, they advanced in concert [to invade her]. 6. They saw [the wonders of the Almighty] and were astounded; they were terror-stricken, they hastened to flee. 7. Trembling seized them there, pangs as of a woman in the throes of labor; 8. [they were crushed as] by an east wind that shatters the ships of Tarshish. 9. As we have heard, so have we seen, in the city of the Lord of Hosts, in the city of our G-d; may G-d establish it for all eternity. 10. G-d, we have been hoping for Your kindness [to be revealed] within Your Sanctuary. 11. As Your Name, O G-d, [is great,] so is Your praise to the ends of the earth; Your right hand is filled with righteousness. 12. Let Mount Zion rejoice, let the towns of Judah exult, because of Your judgments. 13. Walk around Zion, encircle her, count her towers. 14. Consider well her ramparts, behold her lofty citadels, that you may recount it to a later generation. 15. For this G-d is our G-d forever and ever; He will lead us eternally.
3. Rescue me from evildoers, save me from men of bloodshed. 4. For behold they lie in ambush for my soul, mighty ones gather against me-not because of my sin nor my transgression, O Lord. 5. Without iniquity [on my part,] they run and prepare-awaken towards me and see!
17. They rejoice in Your Name all day, and they are exalted through Your righteousness.
Posted by Kahane at 7:38 PM
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- ► 2019 (60)
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (54)
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (54)
- ▼ September (4)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (43)