Sunday, August 3, 2014
Week 21 (Book 6): G-d is our Strength - Psalms 61-63; 59:18, 77:1-3; 89:22
PSALMS (Introductions and Translations from Chabad.org):
David composed this prayer while fleeing from Saul. The object of all his thoughts and his entreaty is that G-d grant him long life-not for the sake of pursuing the pleasures of the world, but rather to serve G-d in awe, all of his days.
1. For the Conductor, on the neginat, by David. 2. Hear my cry, O G-d, listen to my prayer. 3. From the end of the earth I call to You, when my heart is faint [with trouble]: Lead me upon the rock that surpasses me! 4. For You have been a refuge for me, a tower of strength in the face of the enemy. 5. I will dwell in Your tent forever; I will take refuge in the shelter of Your wings, Selah. 6. For You, G-d, heard my vows; You granted the inheritance of those who fear Your Name. 7. Add days to the days of the king; may his years equal those of every generation. 8. May he sit always before G-d; appoint kindness and truth to preserve him. 9. Thus will I sing the praise of Your Name forever, as I fulfill my vows each day.
David prays for the downfall of his enemies. He also exhorts his generation that their faith should not rest in riches, telling them that the accumulation of wealth is utter futility.
1. For the Conductor, on the yedutun,1 a psalm by David. 2. To G-d alone does my soul hope; my salvation is from Him. 3. He alone is my rock and salvation, my stronghold; I shall not falter greatly. 4. Until when will you plot disaster for man? May you all be killed-like a leaning wall, a toppled fence. 5. Out of their arrogance alone they scheme to topple me, they favor falsehood; with their mouths they bless, and in their hearts they curse, Selah. 6. To G-d alone does my soul hope, for my hope is from Him. 7. He alone is my rock and salvation, my stronghold; I shall not falter. 8. My salvation and honor is upon G-d; the rock of my strength-my refuge is in G-d. 9. Trust in Him at all times, O nation, pour out your hearts before Him; G-d is a refuge for us forever. 10. Men are but vanity; people [but] transients. Were they to be raised upon the scale, they would be lighter than vanity. 11. Put not your trust in exploitation, nor place futile hope in robbery. If [corrupt] wealth flourishes, pay it no heed. 12. G-d spoke one thing, from which I perceived two: That strength belongs to G-d; 13. and that Yours, my Lord, is kindness. For You repay each man according to his deeds.
Hiding from Saul, and yearning to approach the place of the Holy Ark like one thirsting for water, David composed this prayer on his behalf and against his enemy.
1. A psalm by David, when he was in the Judean desert. 2. O G-d, You are my Almighty, I seek You! My soul thirsts for You, my flesh longs for You; [like one] in a desolate and dry land, without water, 3. so [I thirst] to see You in the Sanctuary, to behold Your might and glory. 4. For Your kindness is better than life; my lips shall praise You. 5. Thus will I bless you all my life, in Your Name I will raise my hands [in prayer]. 6. As with fat and abundance my soul is sated, when my mouth offers praise with expressions of joy. 7. Indeed, I remember You upon my bed; during the watches of the night I meditate upon You. 8. For You were a help for me; I sing in the shadow of Your wings. 9. My soul cleaved to You; Your right hand supported me. 10. But they seek desolation for my soul; they will enter the depths of the earth. 11. They will drag them by the sword; they will be the portion of foxes. 12. And the king will rejoice in G-d, and all who swear by Him will take pride, when the mouths of liars are blocked up.
18. [You are] my strength, to You I will sing, for G-d is my stronghold, the G-d of my kindness.
1. For the Conductor, on the yedutun, by Asaph, a psalm. 2. [I raise] my voice to G-d and cry out; [I raise] my voice to G-d and He will listen to me. 3. On the day of my distress, I sought the Lord; my wound oozes at night and does not abate; my soul refuses to be comforted.
22. It is he whom My hand shall be prepared [to assist]; My arm, too, shall strengthen him.
Posted by Kahane at 9:18 PM
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- ► 2019 (60)
- ► 2018 (56)
- ► 2017 (54)
- ► 2016 (54)
- ► 2015 (54)
- ▼ August (5)
- ► 2013 (55)
- ► 2012 (76)
- ► 2011 (43)