Sunday, August 17, 2014
Week 46 (Book 4a): Serving G-d with Strength
Week 46 is the last week of the month of Av. The verse speaks of Shmuel’s service of Hashem as a child, girded with a linen ephod. “Girding” is a term that is particularly indicative of strength, and the linen ephod is a sign of his holiness and spiritual growth.
This week’s Pirkei Avot quality that benefits the righteous and the world is exactly that: strength. Again, not just any kind of strength, but strength associated with staying firm in the service of G-d, in order to serve Him in the best way possible.
The very beginning of Chapter 2 of the Songs of Songs also speaks of strength, but specifically relating to the ability to stay strong in the face of attacks, continuing to serve Hashem with beauty and holiness:
1. "I am a rose of Sharon, a rose of the valleys."
Rashi - a rose of the valleys: This is prettier than the rose of the mountains because it is always moist, since the sun has no strength there.
2. "As a rose among the thorns, so is my beloved among the daughters."
Rashi - As a rose among the thorns: which pierce it, but it remains constant in its beauty and its redness, so is my beloved among the daughters. They entice her to pursue them to stray like them after strange gods, but she remains firm in her faith.
This week contains the yahrzeits of Rabbi Levi Yitzhak Schneerson (father of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, 20th of Av) and Rabbi Aharon of Belz (Fourth Rebbe of Belz, 21st of Av).
Rabbi Levi Yitzchak Schneerson [1878-20 Av 1944], father of the Lubavitcher Rebbe, was considered by the Rebbe Reshab to be one of his three greatest chassidim. An outstanding scholar and a leading Kabbalist of his generation, he was the Chief Rabbi of the major Ukrainian city Yekaterinoslav (today called Dniepropetrovsk) until his arrest and exile. His extensive writings while in exile crammed into the margins of his books, were rescued, smuggled out, brought to his son, and are currently being published in a multi-volume set called “Toldot Levi Yitzchak.”
Rabbi Aharon of Belz [1900 - 21 Av 1957], the fourth rebbe in the Belz dynasty, was considered one of the purest holy men of his generation. In 1944 he miraculously escaped from the Nazis and moved to Israel, where after a brief time in Jerusalem he set up his court in Tel Aviv. The current Belzer Rebbe, who has established a huge center in Jerusalem, is his nephew.
Other yahrzeits this week include Rabbi Yaakov Culi (author of the Meam Loez,19th of Av) and Rabbi Meir Hagadol of Premishlan (22nd of Av).
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- ► 2017 (121)
- ► 2016 (38)
- ► 2015 (31)
- Week 48 (Book 4b): Heber and To Be Connected
- The Desert in Words: Justice as a Communal Obligat...
- Week 48 (Book 4a): To Honor the Righteous
- Psalm 150: Praising Hashem with All of the Vowels
- Week 48 (Book 3): Manasseh and Asking Hashem to Fo...
- Book of Lamentations, Chapter 5 Acrostic
- Nachum Acrostic
- Table II (From the Book): Cycles of 50 Years (Jubi...
- Week 47 (Book 5): Reviewing the Week of Rosh Chode...
- Week 47 (Book 4b): Serach and the Month of Virgo
- The Desert in Words: Destroying by Failing to Dest...
- Week 47 (Book 4a): The Purpose of Wealth
- Week 47 (Book 3): Hezekiah and Teshuvah
- Week 46 (Book 5): Reviewing the Last Week of Av - ...
- Week 46 (Book 4b): Enduring Through Vulnerable Tim...
- Week 46 (Book 4a): Serving G-d with Strength
- Week 46 (Book 3): Handling Crisis with Humility an...
- The Desert in Words: G-d's Committment to the Land...
- Week 46 (Book 2): Mordechai and the Quality of "Li...
- Week 45 (Book 5): Reviewing the Week of Tu B'Av - ...
- Week 45 (Book 4b): Our Enduring Love for G-d, Rega...
- The Desert in Words: "Giving it All You've Got" an...
- Week 45 (Book 4a): Appreciating True Beauty
- Week 45 (Book 3): Unity and Upright Behavior in th...
- Week 45 (Book 2): Malachi and the Quality of "Aski...
- The Desert in Words: "All of Israel" and the Tora...
- Week 44 (Book 5): Reviewing the Week of Tisha B'Av...
- Week 44 (Book 4b): "Love is as Strong as Death"
- Week 44 (Book 4a): Building G-d's House
- Week 44 (Book 3): War and Conquest
- ▼ August (30)