Thursday, July 25, 2013
Week 46 (contd.): Mordechai and the quality of "Listening and Adding"
The quality for this week is “listens and adds” (shomeah umosif). We come back once again to the main rectification (tikkun) of the month of Av: the ability to listen properly and positively.
This week’s prophet is Mordechai. Mordechai and the redemption of Purim also represent the idea of “listening and adding.” Mordechai listened to a conversation of those that wished to assassinate King Achashverosh and reported the conversation to Queen Esther. Thanks to him, the conspiracy was toppled. Mordechai’s words were added to the chronicles of the king and, later, when the future of the Jewish people hung in the balance, Achashverosh checked the chronicles and saw that was the one Mordechai had saved him, but that he had not been rewarded for his actions. This was the crucial turning point in the Megillah’s account. Esther’s role in recounting Mordechai’s words (as well as specifically attributing those words to Mordechai) is later mentioned as a quality that brings about the redemption.
Mordechai is the last known prophet of the 48 ones listed in the Talmud. Esther is the last female prophet. G-d willing, she will be discussed in week 52.
DOWNLOAD A FREE COPY OF PEREK SHIRAH HERE!
- ► 2017 (104)
- ► 2016 (61)
- ► 2015 (32)
- ► 2014 (340)
- Week 47 (contd.): Mashiach Ben Yosef and Learning ...
- Week 47 (from the Book)
- Week 46 (contd.): Mordechai and the quality of "Li...
- Week 46 (From the Book)
- Week 45 in the Song of Songs
- Week 45 (contd.) Malachi and the quality of "Askin...
- Week 45 from the Book
- More on Week 44 (which ended yesterday), a Hint of...
- Week 44, Zechariah and Settling the Heart (contd.)...
- Kabbalah of Time, Week 44: Zechariah, Settling You...
- Kabbalah of Time, Week 44: the Mouse and Rabbi Neh...
- Haggai and Standing in Peace (Week 43 contd.)
- Week 43 (no video classes this week)
- ▼ July (13)